Friday, November 6, 2009

Sleep Hannah Sleep!

Back when Hannah would sleep anywhere and all the time!!!


I never realized how hard it would be to let your baby attempt to cry herself to sleep! Lately Hannah has gotten into the habit of falling asleep when I am feeding her. So for me it has been easy and nice to just lay her down right after that and she can take her naps and go right to bed at night.....but now she doesn't know how to fall asleep on her own.
Today I was able to lay her down for one of her naps, she talked and wined for a bit, but fell asleep. Then for her evening nap she screamed!! It was hard we tried at the beginning of the nap to give her the binky, but she didn't want it, so 30 minutes later with her still screaming, me crying and both Chris and I at a loss, I went in calmed her down and put her to sleep. Although when I layed her down she only slept for 5 min tops! So we just let her stay up, got her jammies on and put her to bed early...I let her eat to fall asleep!
I know that it will be hard and challenging for both Hannah and her parents for her to learn to sleep on her own, but I know it is for the best. I know that she needs to learn to not fall asleep with me breast feeding her or she will never know how else to fall asleep.
I am very thankful for my husband and the support he gives me through all of this, especially as I am a wimp and can't let my baby cry! We had a good talk and figured out some things we can try with her, so I am pumped up for a new try tomorrow and hopefully soon we will have a better sleeping happy baby! Thank you for letting me vent about my eventful evening of a first time mom!!

4 comments:

The Stewarts said...

YOU CAN DO ITTTT!!! Good Luck!

Elise said...

Natalia did that for a little while and come to find out she had an ear infection. Good Luck!

The Simmons Bunch said...

It is hard on the nerves trying to get your baby to sleep by themselves. With Isaac I felt like a horrible mother just listening to him scream and cry for SO LONG! But it does end. It usually takes my kids about four nights of screaming before they start figuring things out. Don't give up, YOU CAN DO IT! It is SO worth it!

Sarah Peterson said...

well Kim- it is only a problem to feed her to sleep if she isn't sleeping through the night. So- I would say- if she IS sleeping through the night you don't need to worry about it!
So- yes- do sleep training of no nursing to sleep, if she can't sleep through the night- but if she can, then go ahead and put her to sleep however you want!

Claire can sleep through the night fine now and I always nurse her to sleep- but I did do the sleep training when she was young, so she can fall asleep by herself without being nursed.


Oh- and it is totally normal to feel horrible about the crying. I think I have gotten used to it now! haha- so I don't get as upset about it. One mother once told me "Babies are still just as happy to see you in the morning even if you let them cry all night! They forgive and forget VERY fast!"