Wednesday, June 30, 2010

War Dance

So last night after Hannah went to bed Chris and I were trying to decide which Netfilx instant movie to watch. At first Chris suggested a movie which was somewhat sad. I said no, i wasn't in the mood for a sad movie. So then he picks a movie called War Dance. We knew it was a documentary and I thought "sure, this will be interesting." Man o man.

We were only able to get through maybe 15 minutes of the movie before I asked Chris to turn it off. I haven't cried that hard in a very long time. The movie is about the Acholi tribe in Uganda who have been victimized, killed, and driven out of their homes by the rebels in Africa. Within the first 15 min we saw, a little girl told her story which is horrific, sad and even now, the next morning, has me tearing up. It was a huge dose of reality last night in how blessed I am. I never have to worry about if we will be attacked that night, if my family will be killed, where I am going to sleep, how I am going to eat, or just get through each day. I have everything and yet I still take it for granted. What a wake up call in just a short 15 min of film. I do want to finish watching the movie because all though it is sad, the whole point of the movie is that even though war has taken just about everything from them, they still have their music. They are an amazing people and I will never stop praying for them.

1 comments:

Karen K. said...

You're so right. What I know for sure is that we're 'sheltered' from the difficulties others face on a daily basis. Most of us have no idea... Thank you. We may have to watch this for our own reality check. We are BLESSED!